FO 2009: Felicity Hat
May 15, 2009
Back in March, when I took my thesis research trip to Western Pennsylvania and West Virginia, I brought some knitting with me, and promptly finished it (still haven’t blocked it, but when I do I will reveal it). I didn’t have much down time in Pittsburgh, sadly, but I had a lot while in Morgantown, West Virginia. After a couple of posts in the Morgantown Knitters group on Ravelry, learning the great spots to eat in town (Black Bear Burritos) and find yarn (The Needlecraft Barn).
I went to a meeting at West Virginia University, and stopped off at this cute little shop on the way back. The front window was filled with fiber in shades of green, for St. Patrick’s Day, and the inside was bursting with amazing needlepointing, embroidery, and knitting/crocheting goods. Lots of great things to look at and consider purchasing. I hemmed and hawed, knowing that I only wanted 1 skein since I have so much yarn in my stash already.
I ended up with a skein on Araucania Nature Wool Solids in a dark, mottled green. Gorgeous color. My first go with this yarn, and I totally loved it. It’s sturdy but not rough. Perfect for a Felicity Hat (the pdf is in the side bar of the Knitology page), which I’ve been meaning to make for a long time.
Probably picked the colorway because it reminded me of all the lovely mossy trees I saw on the WVU campus —
Anyways, the hat pattern + the yarn choice = perfect. I had a size 8 circular with me, and about 7 hours later, I had a hat! Easy as pie pattern, written wonderfully. Only changes I made: longer section before the crown decreases, to make it big and slouchy, and a couple of rows of garter along the edge, instead of 1 row of purl, hoping that the edge wouldn’t curl. It still does, but not as much as it would have without the mod, I believe.
Ended up wearing it for the rest of the cold days in Philadelphia, instead of my Thorpe (not that my love has changed for my Thorpe, of course).
Needle: Size 8 circular
Yarn: Araucania Nature Wool Solids
Yardage: less than a full skein (approx 200 yds)
Cast on: March 17, 2009
Cast off: March 17, 2009 (took 7 hours from start to weaving in ends)
Mods: longer section before crown decreases; 4 rows of garter stitch on edging
Ravelry Project page